1 small butternut squash
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic
2 c. skim milk
cayenne pepper, pinch
1 c. reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
1 lb. whole wheat macaroni noodles, dry measure (whole box)
1/2 c. whole wheat breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste
parsley, to garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
2. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Drizzle 1/2 tbsp. olive oil over each half of squash, sprinkle with salt and pepper, place 1 clove of garlic in each bulb of squash.
4. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes. Re-set temperature to 350 degrees after cooking squash.
5. Let cool slightly, scoop insides of squash into large bowl and mash with fork.
6. Add squash and 2c. skim milk to large pot, whisking until well combined. Add a pinch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper while stirring.
7. After a few minutes, add cheddar and parmesan cheese. Continue to stir to combine and melt cheese.
8. Spray a large baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange pasta noodles evenly over bottom of pan. Pour squash/cheese mixture over noodles. Mix until well combined.
9. Spread 1/2 c. whole wheat bread crumbs over top of mac and cheese dish.
10. Bake for 20-25 minutes until warm and tender. Garnish with fresh or dried parsley.
Nutrition Facts (per 1 cup serving):
Yield- 10 servings