Dietitians have been long-time fans of the Mediterranean diet for its heart health benefits, but a recent study published by the British Medical Journal have found new benefits for gut health, specifically for the elderly.
We decided that is a good enough reason to share with you one of our favorite Mediterranean-inspired salad recipes. Enjoy!
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/3 cup reduced sodium feta
- 1/4 cup unsalted walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 15 oz can chick peas, drained (optional)
- Make dressing by whisking together olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (separation is normal, just mix/shake it up again before using).
- Toss together the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- drizzle dressing on top as desired, and it is ready to serve!
An Extra Tip
To add a little crunch to your salad, consider roasting the chick peas! I recommend drizzling them with 1 Tbsp olive oil, dusting them with paprika and garlic salt, and roasting them on 400 degrees F in the oven for 20-30 minutes, tossing them periodically.
This is a huge salad that can easily be eaten throughout the week. To keep your salad fresh longer, keep the dressing in a separate container and drizzle it on right before you eat it.